Friday, November 5, 2010

Israel - November 4 & 5, 2010






Israel – November 4 and 5

Shavot Shalom or Peaceful Sabbath to all of you. Sorry about missing the blog last night. We were simply exhausted. You do not come to Israel to rest … that is for sure! … But the exhaustion you experience from the excitement of going to these Biblical sites and Bible study into the wee hours is the kind of exhaustion that is very satisfying. Today while we were in the desert of Judea for a reenactment of the lifestyle Abraham lived the verse that came to me was Psalm 63:1 “When he was in the Desert of Judah. O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. [2] I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. [3] Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. [4] I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. [5] My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.” I cannot tell you how powerful these words are as you stand in the dessert of Judea contemplating the faith of Abraham who did not depend on the lush land or the strength of his hand but rather depended on the grace of God. I cannot tell you the power of these words as you think of the long line of pilgrims like David who simply went to the desert to fast and pray and be alone with God … Suffice it to say- the more you experience our Glorious God – the more hungry for him you become. His love is better than life. He satisfies your inmost being with the richest of foods. Enjoy the pictures and if I can get them to download the videos … and Shavot Shalom … Sabbath Peace in Christ Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath to all of you!! Mat 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The pictures attached to the blog are from November 4 and today November 5.
November 4, 2010
Caesarea Philippi which was considered by the ancient world to be the gates of hell. In Matthew 16:13-17:13 Jesus proclaimed to his disciples the gates of hell would not overcome us as we go forth with His Gospel to rescue people from Satan’s kingdom and the tyranny of their own hearts.
Tel Dan where Scripture tells us when the kingdom of Israel was divided by King Jereboam after Solomon’s reign Jereboam set up idol worship in Dan. Two golden calves were set up so the people in Jereboam’s Northern Kingdom would not go to Jerusalem’s temple to worship the true God and renew their allegiance to the King of the Southern kingdom. 1 Kings 12:27-29
November 5, 2010
Ein Harod – The people of Israel say this is part of the original Garden of Eden … most people think that was closer to Iraq - but hey – I like big gardens – If my Father in heaven likes big gardens who knows how big they could be! The story of Gideon thinning his troops to 300 happens at Ein Harod Judges 7:7
Beit Shean- Capitol of the 10 cities of the Decapolis where Jesus almost certainly preached the Gospel. In ancient times it was the city where the enemies of God hung the bodies of Saul and his sons after winning a victory against Israel. David came and claimed the bodies and took them to the be buried on the Mountains of Gilead. 1 Samuel 31. Beit Shean has some of the best ruins of a Roman City in the ancient world.
Genisis Land – The desert of Judea for a reenactment of the life of Abraham.

No comments: